Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Merry Christmas! Let's Offend Somebody, Today.

Seems like every year "we" meaning these United States, gets more and more politically correct when it comes to celebrating Christmas.

Now, it used to be that if you were ran the cash register in a store, and said "Merry Christmas" the Boss would compliment you for your great attitude and holiday spirit. I'm guessing that stopped about the time that "It's A Wonderful Life" started turning up on TV -- the 1960's.

The Bosses ordered "Merry Christmas" replaced with "Happy Holidays" in deference to their non-Christian customers. OK, I was down with that, as the kids say. Let's be inclusive...

Now, if you look at the Sunday newspaper inserts, you'll find that Christmas sales have been replaced with Holiday sales. Yeah, but....

Then, at work, the guys strung the lights on the building (with care) as they've always done, only to be told to take them down, 'cause The Bosses didn't want to offend anyone. Huh?

The last straw was in my neighborhood Lowes home improvement center. They didn't have Christmas trees. They weren't even "holiday trees." No, they had "family trees."

Gimme a break. I'm forming a revolt.

EVERY employee I meet in a store will be greeted with "Merry Christmas" and if I don't get the same in return, I won't spend any money there. Now, I'm no big religious holier-than-thou windbag. I just want my Christmas back.

If you want to greet everyone with "Happy Quanza," go right ahead. At least you're being honest about it, and can deal with the consequences. We live in a land of religious tolerance.

Tolerance doesn't mean I have to accept your belief, nor can you deny mine. But, Goddamn it, (!) if you want me to buy Christmas gifts, accept that I probably am in some small way Christian, or at least somebody who doesn't care what Christmas is really about, so long as it includes Santa Claus and reindeer.

Don't be a wuss and be afraid to take the small chance you might offend me in some small way. Say "Merry Christmas" for Christ's sake.

No comments: