Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why I hated Fess Parker.


Fess Parker has passed away. Nobody, ever, hated Fess Parker, the TV actor who brought us Daniel Boone, and earlier, a certain character that "killed a bar when he was only three" and whose last name was Crockett. And I don't mean the one from Miami Vice.

But, thanks to Parker's role as Crockett, everybody in America learned to sing the opening strains of the theme from his TV show, which was a mammoth hit only months after I was born.

As a result, for about the first 15 years of my life, anybody who learned my name was David spontaneously burst into song...

"DAVEEEEE, DAVY CROCKETT! KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER," they would blurt, usually with a big shit-eating grin on their face.

I got sick of that really fast.

Every time I think that damn song has at last been forgotten, someone will pipe up on hearing my name and start singing. Even now, fifty years after it was on the air.

My reaction hasn't changed much. I groan and growl something to the effect that "boy, that was certainly original". Then I flee as soon as possible.

I never slugged anyone for singing, but there's always a first time. You've been warned.

No comments: