Saturday, March 13, 2010

More Great Female Rock Singers.


I got to thinking -- just who did I leave out of my list of golden-era rock singers?

Google to the rescue. It seems lots of other people have tried to list the best of the best, though most do not try to limit the time period. Here are a couple that deserve mention, though I think I'll stay with my original "top 5".

Cher. Yeah, Cher, as in "Sonny-And...". Think about this for a minute. A very distinctive voice that improved with age; a style all her own; great stage presence. Probably should be classified as more of a pop singer than rock, but.... what the hell.

Stevie Nicks. Great, unique vocalist, even though I can't make out her lyrics half the time. A great contributor to one of rock's greatest bands.

Pat Benatar. Pat could probably sing anything well, but she chose rock. Clear voice; lots of inflection, terrific power. Frequently dismissed as a flash in the pan, Pat can, to this day, kick most female singer's butts. Lady Gaga should be happy Pat Benatar isn't 21 years old.

Joan Jett. A pioneer with her band, the Runaways. Strong cult following? Get this, they're making a movie about this group.

Tina Turner. Surprisingly, she is missing from most rock lists, perhaps because she's more commonly classified as a blues/pop singer, which I think is wrong.

Anybody else I missed? Please don't suggest Blondie; I attribute all that band's success to its producer and engineer. Patti Smith? Probably, but amazingly, I don't know her stuff... she didn't get airplay on the stations I listened to in my misspent youth.

No comments: