Sunday, January 24, 2010

Passings.

Our lives are marked by major events. Births, graduations, marriages, illness, death.

I'm cheered this month by the news in my family of both an impending birth and an impending marriage, but I'm sad to report the loss of two others who, while not relatives, are people I've known for decades.

My friend David lost his dad last month.  Dave's dad was a tough career military man who flew B-17's in WWII and fought endless battles with his son when Dave was young.  Still, he could be a charismatic, entertaining guy as I found out when he substitute-taught a class I had in high school.

My friend Bob lost his mother last Friday.  I knew Bob's mom better than Dave's dad.  I think it took her years to trust Bob's group of high school friends not to get her Bobby in trouble, but eventually we won her over... I think.  Bob's dad died when he was three, so he and his mom were very close, and I know the loss Bob feels is great.

No comments: