Sunday, January 24, 2010

Now It Can Be Told.

My "little girl" Katherine Rose is to be married.

The future Katherine Heavrin received her proposal in San Francisco today on the Golden Gate Bridge.

I hope somebody passing by honked their car's horn.

I've known this was coming for a couple of weeks.  Her boyfriend, Marine Lance Corporal Phil Heavrin, is a class act, having come to my house, ring in hand, to ask in advance for my blessing.

Phil is a quiet man with a bone-crushing handshake as he looks at you straight in the eye.  I like him.

They are both young, but in some ways they both seem to be throwbacks to my parent's generation, when men went to war, the women waited, and then made solid marriages when the battle was won.

Alas, the USA is not the same as it was in 1945. But the world is what you make it. Both Phil and Katie vow to go to college and make something of themselves. I believe they have the determination to do just that.

My little girl.... my little girl. Where has the time gone?

No comments: