Saturday, February 9, 2008

An Open Letter To My Friends At Google

Dear Google:

...or can I just call you "Goo"? We've had a long friendship for years, it seems; I should be allowed to refer to you informally, right? I use your search engine a dozen times every day; I love Google Earth; I Google my maps, and now I'm into the blog scene using your "Blogger" site.

So, what gives, Goo? How come you don't love me?

It seems, you just don't care about me, Goo. I type my little heart out about all sorts of subjects, but, when I try and Google my very own blog name? It's nowhere to be found.

Oh, I suppose if I hunted through the 67,000 permutations of "Another Day In Redlands CA" I might find it. But, riddle me this, Batman: Why does my dear Redlands neighbor, dentist Terry D. Chacon, who paints plein air oils of his Afghan hound, always come up first on the list, even though his blog isn't named anything close to mine, and in fact only has the words "another day" appear by chance in one posting of his, back in December?

It doesn't look like the dear doctor is overwhelmed with traffic to his website either; I mean, there's no comments posted on the artistry displayed in said December blog. And, he's not giving away free root canals, or some such. But, damn.... every freaking time?

So, Google, my friend, what have I done?

Do I have to surrender my independence, and let you place ads on my beloved pages, soiling their crisp lines and incredible creativity? Pay for some sort of upgrade? What? What?

Did I piss you off somewhere, back in one of my posts? Do you hate Ralph Nader, or eBay, or car repair? Do you have money invested in Indian gaming? Did somebody on a bicycle once give you the finger? If they did, it wasn't me; honest.

I've also noticed Blogger won't even spell check my posts, anymore. Are you trying to tell me to get lost; to take my meager bandwidth and get outta GoogleWorld?

I promise to be good. I'll never write a single blog praising Yahoo or any other search engine; honest Injun. Oops, sorry.

No comments: