Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Something Of Value

Recently I placed three groups of books for sale on eBay. The first was a six-volume set of hardcover books sold by Time-Life back in the 1960's that covered the world of science and mathematics. The second set was a collection of American Heritage hardcover periodicals; the third, Britannica's 'Book of the Year' from 1968 to 1975.

Of the three, only one sold, the Britannica year books, for the grand sum of $10. I've yet to be paid.

All of these works took months of effort to create by their authors. They are a veritable treasure trove of information. Yet, nobody wants them. I guess I'll put them back on the shelves they've occupied for the last few decades, and someday the wife or kids can dispose of them.

Meanwhile, the nation occupies its time watching so-called 'reality' shows on MTV. These shows are not real, their situations are not real, the actors in them are as phony as the rest of the show. Yet the public is fascinated.

I suppose there's an ironic point to be made here, but all I can come with right now is a deep, deep sadness for our world.

No comments: