Sunday, December 13, 2009

No News Is Bad News

Thursdays's announcement that newspaper trade publication Editor and Publisher will shut down immediately comes as quite a blow to all the ink-stained wretches out there who toil(ed) in the trade.

What better indicator that the newspaper industry is suffering serious wounds? To think that E&P is dead is just inconceivable to me.  A long, long time ago, when I was working in my first serious job out of college, living on a diet consisting largely of Swanson's TV dinners, I still found the money to buy a subscription to Editor and Publisher.  It kept me in touch with the rest of the business; made me feel that though I was in a crappy job, in a crappy company, in a crappy town, in a crappy state, I was part of something bigger and more important.

I suppose that there are other forums now for people in the business; back then there was no Internet, and all that personal technology has brought us -- the same technology which is killing print as we speak.  But, just as there is something to be said for the tangibility of the newspaper, there is something very good indeed about a magazine that makes one feel like a professional in a world that very much wants you to be just another worker bee.

No comments: