Thursday, August 13, 2009

The "New" GM Lies, Just Like The Old GM


What's the old joke -- statistics don't lie, only liars with statistics?

Earlier this week, every media outlet I can think of ran with General Motors' announcement that the new Chevy Volt will get 230 MPG. Some went on to clarify that GM meant the hybrid will get that kind of mileage in the city. Only a very small number of people bothered to look at the actual numbers to see how the new GM is already bullshitting us.

First, yes, the Volt can get 230 MPG. On one very big condition. You drive no more, no less than 51 miles to calculate your MPG! We're talking big time misleading here, folks. I suppose they could also claim that if you drove the car less than 40 miles on the electric motor every day, forever, and used but one gallon of gas during the life of the car, it would have received 200,000 miles per gallon, but the public might actually question a number like that.

My Honda gets at least 150 MPG going downhill but I don't claim that as my actual average. I suppose if I peel off the Honda nameplate and glue on a Chevy "bowtie" I can do so with impunity.


No comments: