Sunday, June 7, 2009

Beep, Beep...It Ain't The Roadrunner...

Beep.

Beep...

Our attention this afternoon was directed to an unusual beeping sound coming from the den. Two beeps, then silence... for fifteen minutes. Then: Beep, beep.

After about an hour, we traced it to our Verizon FIOS box buried in a cabinet behind the couch.
Apparently, there's a backup battery in the box in case the power fails. Warning light indicated the battery was low on juice. Fish out screwdriver, pry case loose, and holy cow! What a battery! I was expecting your usual little 9 volt transistor radio job, or a flashlight battery. This one is about half the size of the one in the Honda Fit. Twelve volts, 7.2 amps -- I bet I could start a car with it.

And whoopee...Verizon may own the system, but it's up to us to replace it. I'm going to go put it on my car's battery charger and see if I can put some life back into the thing.

Technology sucks. All this isn't worth it. Sorry.

No comments: