Saturday, August 16, 2008

Had I Only Known...

Back in my college years, I had a dream.

I would someday be a newspaper publisher.

To accomplish this goal, I studied business and finance in school, and when I graduated, I took a job 425 miles away from home as a management trainee at a community paper, part of one of America's great newspaper chains.

I worked at newspapers large and small for the next quarter century. I held positions in both retail and classified advertising management in a frustrating quest to move up the corporate food chain.

I hung in there, confident that if I ever got the chance, I could produce a paper that was valued both by its readers and its stockholders. I never made it. I burned out, left with a few boxes of memories, a 20-year-old IBM Selectric, and those pesky PTSD nightmares that haunt me to this day.

Little did I know that had I avoided the newspaper industry entirely, I could have ended up publisher of one of America's greatest papers. At least, that's apparently what it takes these days at the Los Angeles Times.

Check this link:

TBO.com - News From AP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your insight Kathleen(Ireland)